Hello Gourds Instructors!
I hope you are planning to be a part of the 2019 Gourd Gathering at Cherokee. There were changes and surprises last year, but I think that will always happen. But, the most important thing “we” can do to keep the Gourd Gathering at Cherokee strong is make students the most important thing of the week-end. Students are the reason a gourd festival survives.
The information below is basically the same from last year. The exception is class times. To give students time to move to the next class,( as well as an opportunity to eat and possibly shop), there is a hour and half break between morning and afternoon classes.
1. Remember, on Wednesday there will be afternoon classes.
2. All classes will start and end at the same time Thursday through Saturday. When submitting your classes please make sure there is enough time. Class times:
3. On Friday afternoon there will be "short classes", 2 hours long. This would be perfect for a technique or project that would not need 3 or 4 hours. Class price is $20-$25 and the idea is the students should have to bring nothing or a minimum amount of tools. There is not an $8.00 class fee for these "short classes" and the Gathering will not add the $5.00 student fee.
4. There are initially 25 spaces for each session. You can start submitting classes today, but the deadline is January 15, 2019. On May 1, 2019 classes with lowest sign-ups may be cancelled due to lack of classroom space.
5. Students will pay in full when registering. You can still take walk-ins if you have materials available for additional students (maximum twelve). The registration desk will coordinate walk-in students.
6. The Gourd Gathering will add $5.00 to the price of your class as part of the student fee.
. This year we will not accept a class that was developed/taught by another instructor without written permission from the original instructor.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING CLASSES
1. Fill out the Cherokee Class Information Form.
You need to fill this form for EACH class you are planning to teach.
3. Send a color photo of each class project (please save the file as: Last name, and EXACT name of the class). Send photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fees: Instructor fees are $8 per class. Instead of mailing the fees in early, they will be subtracted from your check at the end of the Gourd Gathering.
Payment: Instructors will receive payment on Sunday morning.
At the Gathering, all instructors must provide and do the following:
I heard a lot of comments last year about:
Not enough students this year
Not enough visitors this year
Not enough…(fill in the blank)
We need your help to promote Cherokee. Please publicize Cherokee to your email list, on your Facebook page, on Twitter and on Instagram. Let people know you will be selling and/or teaching at Cherokee. Talk to members of your Patches and clubs. Let everyone know early so they can plan to attend. A mention at least monthly through May will help build attendance, fill classes, and sell supplies. Thanks for your help!
If you have questions, please email me at email@example.com.